Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Legs or Wine - that is the Question!

Well tonight I thought I would do a blog entry for the ladies.  I began walking around town just taking shots of the store front displays of the latest Dutch fashions, and of course the shoes.   Ok, let me come clean.... Dutch women have legs that have to start at 38" and get longer that very quickly.  Even the manakins in the window have long legs. 

As I have aged I become wiser and realized that boyfriends and husbands (let alone my own wife) would  not appreicate me snapping photos of ladies legs.  After being assualted in the town square in La Spezia, Italy for taking pictures of a young mother and child I realized tonight's topic had the possibility of a repeat of an old woman screaming at hitting me with her purse.

So I decided on a safe topic - like good food and wine.  For a small town in the Netherlands, Hengelo has what I think is a world class restaurant.  And believe it or not it is Italian!  Longing for a quiet dinner with my sweetie or maybe a special dinner with our friends - I opted to go to Intenzo.  Their card says "Basic Italian", but trust me that is such a gross under estimation!

Tonight's special... A three course mystery dinner, the chef prepares for you in the blind, and each course is paired with wine. (Does that rhyme?) 


So the first thing  of the evening arrives and it is a chef's treat.  Eggplant puree with on a toasted piece of bread with parmigiano reggiano.

Hello taste buds are you awake?

The first course was a piece of tuna that had  been cooked in a parmasen vinegarette (meaning the vinegar cooked it not a stove) with wild greens in a cheese taco for lack of better description.  Served with a Moscato - the dish melted in your mouth.

Course two was a beef dishes served with a celery truffle puree and leeks.  Can I get an Amen?  Not yet... the waiter brought over a sharp knife and
sealed container.  Once the container was open he began to slice black truffles over the meat.  Served with a red from Sicily that just blew me away.

Dessert?  Absolutely!  A dessert wine from Tuscany,
vin Santo, which is like the nectar of false gods...  I was sipping on this treat enjoying my dessert when a plate arrived that had a pear tart, tiramsu, and chocolate mousse. 

  Yep it was a pretty strong closer!






A long chat with the owner who gave me a card with the name and address of a bed breakfast in Piemonte that I must visit my amazing dinner came to end.





The dinner was probably a lot safer than taking pictures of ladies legs...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a feast. Cute shoes too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the shoes will find a 40" pair of legs sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mr. Burckell, We just started catching up on your blog and have really enjoyed reading it. Hope that trip to Piemonte includes us!!!! Look forward to seeing you soon and hearing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not allowed to go back to Piemonte without us!!!!

    ReplyDelete