Sunday, January 29, 2012

12 hours - 500 Kilometers

One Train Discount Day Pass, A Bottle Water, Two Cameras, it is cold misty - Lets circumnavigate the Netherlands.

Friday night before the train ticket office closed, I stopped by and asked the nice lady behind the counter if there was one place I should go see while in the Netherlands? Her response was immediate, "Haarlem and it is market day tomorrow" So I said, that is where I would go! Then the big question was how much was a roundtrip ticket to Haarlem? She smiled and said 48 Euros...but you are a nice man I will sell you a day pass that allows you to go anywhere in Netherlands for 24 hours for a 40% discount!

28.50 Euros later I had a golden ticket and my plan began to form.

I arose early to begin my sojourn. The sun looked like it was trying to over take the clouds, but the chance of a sun win was doubtful according to the weather report. Standing trackside a few minutes after 8 am, the sun did peak through illuminating the glass on the train platform. Yep, I think it was going to be a good day!


Henglo to Amersfoort change trains - Amersfoort to Amsterdam Centraal change trains - Centraal to Haarlem would be my first leg. Within 15 minutes of boarding the train a fog began to role in as I crossed the green marshes of the Netherlands. The sun was trying to break through with little luck. The beauty of the morning was breathtaking, and with my iPod on shuffle Van Morrison wailed "Into the Mystic". It will be five minutes of my life that I will never forget. The music, the view, the isolation, and the swaying motion of the train lulled me to a mellow state that is rarely achieved. No picture was taken - Oh but what an everlasting memory!

Trains run on time and frequent so my circumnavigation would allow me 4 hours in Haarlem and still allow me to jump on and off in towns of my choice for a few minutes to get a feel for the area. Hengelo where I am staying is about as far east as one can go in the Netherlands, while Haarlem is the Western extreme.
My arrival in Haarlem was a few minutes before 11 and the market was in full swing. The smells we overwhelming. Stands selling Fresh Bread, Desserts, Meats, Fish, and even a pinapple slicing dude were just a few of the vendors that were drawing the town people to the town square. As you would expect, the square was directly in front of a massive catherdal whose bells seemed to be annoucing the happenings in the street below. Once again, I was bummed out not to have vibrant sun for pictures, but let me assure you the colors just added to the fanfare in the streets.

I left the square and walked the alleys and streets of Haarlem. Crossing a small footbridge over the canal gave me a view back at what must have been a happening place in the 1600s. Strolling down the path along the canal one still had to be ever vigiliant of the moms on killer bikes. I escaped mishap all day, but with one close call. I got "the look" as mom dismounted and pushed the kids over the bridge.



The shops were as full as the market place and the whole town was a buzz - it seemed almost electric!  

The store front colors drew you to them.. A couple these entrances especially caught my eye.  One which the front was entirely decoupaged and one that made viloins.  I stood in front of both these stores like it was a museum.  So much to absorb and enjoy the workmanship required to do this front.


Feet sore and stomach rumbling I found a cafe looking down on the ongoings in the market. After a late lunch and cold beer (with fries) I headed for the train and began my return leg.


I decided to go south back to Hengelo. This allowed me to go through Leiden, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Dortrecht, Breda, Tilburg, Arnhem, and Zutphen before arriving in Hengelo a little after 8 pm. Twelve hours and 500 kilometers later I had completed my circumnavigation on this country. Cities, Farms, Rivers, Lakes, Canals, Windmills, and Dikes all slipped by window and once again the sun popped out just in time to offer a view of a hot air ballon and offering an orange glowing sky saying, Tom I hope you have enjoyed your day?



Back in Hengelo I walked out into dark from the train station in same mist I departed in 12 hours ago.
Life is Good!

4 comments:

  1. Great post - love this place - want to visit - SOON!! Why no information on the meal and no pictures? You have mentioned the Fries, but yet I have not seen a picture. No, not being a moran - I know what Fries look like - but - they can be homefries, shoestring fries, short or long fries, curly fries, waffle fries, steak fries, and they can have the skin on or off. So hopefully you get my point - I want to see a picture of some delicious fries!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Fries will be in a post coming soon~
    And for a dangerous life... It proves mothers do not have eyes in the back of their... head. Yeah that is it head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom's next photo portfolio: women's butts all over the world, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I will take mom on that trip....

    Not sure she can run fast enough with here knee, nor do I want to take a beating once we escape.

    Think it best that I stick to my faces collection :-)

    ReplyDelete