Monday, January 23, 2012

How Come?

So I guess I should explain why I named this blog Beer, Bikes and Fries. I have been lucky enough to visit the Netherlands multiple times now. Altough it can be cold and dreary in the winter, the people more than make up for the weather with warm hearts and friendly smiles. When some one ask me why I like this country so much I will always answer, "The People!" Coming in a close second would be the beer and the fries (especially when served together) And the most amazing thing which will leave a lasting impression on any visitor will not be the windmills or the tullips - It is the sheer number of bicycles.

Those who know me well know I am not a beer drinker, do not care for French Fries, and have had very little use for a bike since my 14th birthday. However, when in the Netherlands do as the Dutch.

I must admit when it comes to fries they do think I am weird because I love mustard on mine instead of mayo as the Dutch eat them. That is right sports fans no ketchup to be found... well maybe in the high tourist areas you will see the red goop, but you will have to ask for it. There is a Dutch word that translates something like "French Fry Wars" where the youth will mix mayo and ketchup together and live on the edge. Me that is one life experience I am glad I missed in my youth and will skip in my adulthood.

The beer is just good! They serve it with a big head and then scrap off the top with a beer knife. The glasses are even marked where the beer should end and the foam should start. You do see some folks ordering a bottle, but 90% of the time the golden liquid flows from the tap. Not real cold... but not warm either, and always in a glass that proudly displays the name of beer inside the glass. Unlike back home, usually a restaurant, pub, or bowling alley just serves one brand of Dutch beer and a sign outside the establishment indicates the libation offered. You may find Beligum or German brews offered, but only one Dutch.

Until one walks outside Amsterdam Centraal Train Station and sees a 4 story parking garage for bikes totally full, they cannot grasp the dependence of this society on two wheels. Everywhere you go there are bike trails. Black for car roads, red for bike paths, and grey for sidewalks. And bikes have the right away! I think you can ride from the German border to Amsterdam on bike paths never having to share the road.

And the bikes come in all sizes and shapes.


The one in the picture is very common for the lady of the house (the soccer mom's mini-van). The baby would be in the front cart with the recycle grocery bags, the two year old would be on the back seat, and the 4 year old on the handlebars as she heads to market. None of the 3 passengers or the mom on the pedals will have on a helmet. Just amazing... oh yeah it is 28 degrees and the wind is blowing at 15 mph. Sure puts a whole new twist to day of shopping. No tears, no complaints from the riders, but that may have something to do with the ice cream cone they are enjoying as mom pedals to the shoe store.

If you get a chance cross the sea and meet some real nice people - Drink beer, Eat some Fries, and Ride a Bike! (No helmet required)

Adds a whole new twist to being the Designated Driver

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Makes me want a cold beer and some hot french fries right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be there, even in the cold winter!!!! Capital Ale House is just not the same!!!!

    ReplyDelete