Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rainy Days and Sundays - The Arrival

From the moment I stepped off the plane in Amsterdam it has been windy, rainy, and cold. Not freezing just cold. Yesterday was a catch-up day for me. I walked around like a zombie in a trance due to lack of sleep from the flight over.

It was a great flight with a strong tail wind... just one problem - The heat was turned WAY up - had to be pushing 80 F. Not sure why they feel the need to turn it up at night, but it was way too uncomfortable for sleeping in my book. The crew was more than willing to handout blankets (yep I was on a European airliner - not true for US carriers) and some ladies took them. What can you do to escape the heat at 38,000 ft? Even as liberal as the Dutch are, I do not think the crew would have taken kindly for me sitting in my underwear while crossing the Atlantic. Probably the Italian lady next to me wrapped up in three blankets would not have liked it either - but I was about 30 minutes away on checking on Delta's Flight 652 (operated by KLM) crews views on parital nudity. Not a pretty story - please do not close your eyes and try vision it. Scary... very scary

After landing my Amazing Race instincts kicked in... Gotta Clear customs, (what customs I am in the EU - all welcomed) ok passport control, grab suitcase, hustle to the train ticket counter - buy a ticket - down the escaltor to track 3 and the express train to Hengelo. All done in less than 25 minutes!

Unfortunately, it had be done in 24 minutes 50 seconds... oh well the next train was 30 minutes away, but I had lost the race.  Arriving in Hengelo a few hours later the zombie walk began.  To bed early Sunday has to be better.

Sunday

As I rolled out of the bed this morning after some serious sleep catch up... 1030 ... holy crap - church is at 11 and I missed breakfast... gotta move! Made Mass before the big bells rang albeit the sermon did not make a lot of sense. Back in Amazing Race form.
From church I caught the train to Enschre a larger town than Hengelo about 10 kilometers away. (that is european for 6 miles) I was amazed to find that the trains now have free courtsey wifi, or I finally figured it out. Hopped off the train in the wind and rain and started heading towards the big church figuring it was the center of town... Wrong!

And what really bummed me out by now I was cold and wet and the Church was locked. So I headed back to train station a different way and found the downtown area. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING was closed. Except for McDs and I avoid them anywhere in the world.

So back to Hengelo for a late lunch.  The de Appel is my local hangout, but I have never eaten there. I stopped by there last night, but it was crazy because of the local soccer team, Twente, was playing. So when I walked in today it was very quiet and one of the bartenders I know from past visits was there last night and back today. She was telling me how crazy it got. The bar ended up closing a 5 am this morning and she was back at 10 am to open. She had to be there for an emergency beer delivery. The soccer fans drank 4000 liters of beer last night as they cheered their home team to 5-0 win. Take that NFL fans!  Those who have been here before know de Appel is not that large of place.

Lunch  at de Appel - OH MY - They called a ThalesBurger, which is one serious Hamburger, with Bacon, a fried egg, lots of cheese and fixings that it could have served as a salad bar at most restaurants. And of course the Fries! All washed down with a Dommelsch a great Dutch Beer. Man oh Man today lived up to the blogs name.



After a lunch I had today I decided dinner had to be lite. So after another long walk in the rain (DAMN I HATE HOTEL ROOMS) it was next door to the Cafe Buurman, which translates to "Neighborhood Cafe". The Buurman use to make my all time favorite salad. It was hot goat cheese, lots of greens, almonds and honey, but no more. Say it ain't so - they changed it!  It is now LOTS of hot goat cheese, plenty of field greens, pecans, drissled with maple syrup. That what I call dinner and dessert, and it is now my new favorite salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment