Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blaaaaaah Monday

It does not matter where in the world you are - Mondays are Mondays. It is the day one must return to work and then afterwards catch-up on all those things that should have been done over the weekend, but skipped because they were not as important as fun and relaxation.

The weather has turn bitter cold and the winds form the east have driven the temp below 0 deg C, which in itself is not that bad.  However, the wind and dampness cuts right through you. Snow spits every now and then and it is like a gloom has settled in over Hengelo - it truly is a Monday.

My goal today was to get the laundry done. I purposely packed for 7 days so I would not feel like I was carrying my closet, and I have found doing laundry on travel is not that big of deal. Or is it?
Why not just let the hotel do it you ask - you are on business travel? Well I researched that option and the hotel charges 3.50 euro ($5) per pair of underwear x 7. Holy sh.... that is a lot of money!   I am not sure Angelina Jolie's skivies should command that price for a little soap and warm water!  I am certian mine are not worth that amount of money.   So if underwear cost 3.50 euros what is a shirt or pair of jeans... Yep 8 euros!   Being pretty good ciphering for a King George High Graduate, I figured it would be over 100 euros for me continue to wear clean clothes. Laundromat time!

Easy enough... NOT!

There is only one choice in Hengelo I have found with self operating machines. It is open from 10 AM to 6 PM and closed on Sunday. My work ends around 4ish... Back at the hotel around 4:30. The laundromat is 1 km away from the hotel. How long will it take to cycle through a wash and dry, and of course: To Walk or Not to Walk that is the question? My Amazing Race mentality begins to kick in...

Here is my thought process: a) My time is limited before the laundromat closes, b) I would have to drag my suitcase of dirty clothes through the streets of Hengelo, c) it is dark, d) it is 17 degrees F and the wind is blowing.

My whole decision was based on d). Taxi it is! Ok the taxi cost me 15 euros for a round trip ride, but hey that is only 3 pairs of underwear in the big scheme of things. Such a deal!  I arrived at the laundromat at 4:45 and the young man running the laundromat was doubtful my task could be completed before closing. He saw my sad face and all of sudden he said let us get it done and was very helpful and got me rolling quickly. At 6:05 I walked out of the wasbeertje with a bag of clean clothes... Even the word for laundromat has "beer" in it! 

The cost to wash and dry a suitcase worth of clothes - 9 euros.  The cost of the taxi 15 euros, having clean underwear - PRICELESS!


Dinner was simple one. I was freezing and just walked the one block to the de Appel for a Thales Burger and Fries. Quick, simple, and good! A meal that every cardiologist can support. Well it least it keeps them in business.

Special shout out to Kevin - I got your email explaining the football standings. I can see why the folks around here are pumped. Seems pretty cold to me to be running around in shorts and sliding in the grass - but right now this town is a buzz with FOOTBALL!



So let us take a vote! 

How many folks would have paid the big bucks and let the hotel do the laundry?
How many folks would have just worn dirty clothes?

and now the tough question.....

How many folks would pay the 3.50 Euros to wash Angelina Jolie's skivies?

2 comments:

  1. No way would I pay $5 for a skivvy wash - hotel sink is just fine. :) And on the second question - EWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked at the local department store... 2 pairs for 5 euros. I wasn't going to bother with the sink - just buy new!

    I definitely concur with your response on number 2. :-)

    My bet no one will respond to number 3...

    ReplyDelete