Monday, February 6, 2012

Never Say Good Bye...

Friday was a day closure for me.  The work which brought me to Hengelo is coming to an end, and it is very likely this may be my last visit to this small town in the Netherlands.  Returning to the hotel earlier than our normal routine allowed me to walk the streets and say goodbye - to friends, to a place, and maybe a chapter in my life. 

I cannot close this blog without sharing a few snapshots of from this as well as  previous visits.  So please humor me with a short stroll down “memory straat” visually and in word.

This group of flowers from the market is often my computer wallpaper and always instantly brightens my day and screams "Be Happy".  


One those moments that have snapped a picture in my memory occurred on a snowy blustery night in January.   Randy and I walked the streets of Hengelo and hearing the bells we looked up to this fairy tale view.

And that ugly piece of modern art which overwhelmed the square in years past has now been replaced by trees.  Much more to my liking… 




And as I have written in blog… the bikes!  Especially the mom’s on their bikes.  The most I ever saw were 4 kids and mom with groceries.  Never could catch the event with a camera in my hand.




 
Or starting the day by riding to work from the hotel on a bike... Makes you feel like a local.  Until they started ringing their bells annoucing you are going to slow - comin' around - DING DING DING!






Ohh… The hours in the de Appel and all the stories… where should I start….Brandi’s and the missing 43 glass… maybe not

Children taking an ice cream break at a playground, which is located on busiest street corner unaware and unconcerned of the world around them




The streets lined in flower pots in the Spring






The smell and taste of a hot stroopwafel on a very cold market day




 
The color and beauty of the Basilica during Christmas Time

I know as I move forward in my life – I will always look back with great fondness of the time I got to spend in Hengelo.

However, there is one question that still remains unanswered for me about this town, which may draw me back there one day…

 Is this art or is it really the Stairway to Heaven?

Thank you for following the blog this trip and allowing me to look back and share with you a special place in my heart



2 comments:

  1. Incredible photos! Thank you for sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marissa hanging in there...

    For friends who have asked who is Marissa?

    She is the author of a great travel blog which is a must read for anyone heading for Italy: http://65daysinitaly.com/

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete