Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Home Away From Home

As my trip draws to a close, I would be remiss not covering my place of lodging. I realized yesterday that over the last three years I have stayed at Eden Star Hotel for more than two months of my life. For many of my co-workers it has also been there landing pad for even longer. The hotel is geared to meet the needs of an international business person and does it well, but it is very unique in its own special way. Standing in the lobby it is very likely to hear anywhere from 4 to 5 different languages be spoken. The spoken word of Dutch and English appear to be the only two that business is being conducted, but the cacophony of languages and gesters make the lobby an interesting place to hang. When we were kids we always played the license plate game, with a Montana plate being the rarest find. I think at the Eden Star a person from about every country in the world has come through the door.

Yesterday, I learned that the Eden Star will be no more. A new company has procured the hotel, and how
they will change the hotel is still unknown. The exact hand over date has not been published, but many think it will be Wednesday 1 February. Late tonight there was a man in fancy suit that had taken over the office and going through the files... Hmmm... I think the change is soon.
So I will give a quick tour of this hotel will show you why I called this Dutch Hotel, "unique" 

Coming through the door you are greeted by founder of the Eden Group of Hotels. I have always liked this painting and never realized who he was till I read the plaque the other day - doesn't he look like a boss? The lobby, which is on the main floor (choice 0 in the elevator) is also where a great breakfast is served every morning. A bar, small office kiosk, and a stairwell full off bikes for travellers who feel like integrating into the Dutch the Way are available. And of course the front desk, where the some of the nicest people you will ever meet greet each and every person that comes through the door.

The hotel is built that each floor is a theme. As soon as you get in the elevator you will see a sign that will give you a hint, but it is not till the elevator door opens is the full impact of theme truly realized. The color schemes of each floor are eclectic with art or trinkets scattered around matching the floor's theme. This visit I was put on a "Travel Floor" and outside my door is a rickshaw. It always catches me off guard in the morning. I never did see a driver, but I am really really tempted to take it for a spin on the 4th floor.

The rooms are large and carry the theme into your living space. Being on travel floor, hanging behind my bed is a large painting of "The Needles". A rock formation at the extreme tip of the Isle of Wight, which is the location where Guglieimo Marconi in 1897 transmitted the first radio signals. I only knew that because I was there a few months

ago, but that was another adventure. The rooms have radiators and floor heating. I have never turned on a radiator nor have I ever closed a window. Winter or summer the window stays open for fresh air. And I am not alone leaving the windows open. When you go outside and look at the face of the building probably 80% of the windows are open. Got to love floor heat. The other advantage is that one now has a refrigator in the room. A wide ledge with a window open will keep water and beer right above freezing, yet the room remains toasty. Many nights the duvet is tossed aside because the room is so warm, and the curtians are blowing to beat the band in the -10 C winds.

The one downside of the room maybe in the bathroom. Being an American male, I am partial to soap and shampoo vice body wash. The fragrance of orange blossom and cedar just does not do a whole lot for me. Over my trips I have learned to bring my own soap and shampoo, as well as a wash cloth for good measure. The rooms have plenty of large towels, but no little ones. And of course the hotly debated discussion point on toliet paper in Europe - soft or abrasive? Well I leave that arguement to the picture. But if you must... try this with on Charmin and a fountain pen - I rest my case.

The hotel truly shines in two areas. First, and most important, the friendly staff. Each everyone of them will go out of there way to make your stay pleasant. And like the golden rule of real estate, it is location, location, location. Eden Star is only 2 blocks form the town square and dozens of restaurants, pubs, and shops. The bells from the city tower and the Basilica are easily heard across the town and can act a your snooze alarm. One can set their alarm for 6:55 and roll over, and at 7:00 the bells will begin tolling saying get up!

The Theatre Floor

My hope is the new company, Hampshire Hotels, will change little about the Eden Star. Well maybe a new brand of TP, wash cloths, and a bar soap would be nice - but the rest is All Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment