Thursday, February 2, 2012

How sweet is....

Following work with the sun bright and shiny and it being market day (again) I grabbed my camera and headed for city center. The temperature was 13 F and the winds were screaming up the street. My nose went numb immediately.  Now I have been in 13 degree weather and it is cold - damn cold in fact, but I do not know why it seems like it is minus 13 here.  When I arrived at the market many of the vendors were already gone, and the others were packing up. I guess it was too bitter to pedal their wares.   The wisest one at the market was this small child bundled in stroller which zipped up, and had a coat with a hood, and was placed in a sleeping bag. He was happy and warm, but his mother, as was I, were freezing.   At this point, I was desperate to get out of the winter blast... then I found the perfect haven!


Now I know I called this blog Beer, Bikes, and Fries, but I could have added another "B" for Bake Goods. It takes the will power of Job to avoid these establishments which offer sugar based nirvana to a passer by. As soon as I cracked the door, the warm air laced with the smells of fresh breads and desserts rush to invite me in. Standing frozen I just looked around as my senses went into overdrive. The smells, the colors, and the knowledge that my taste buds could soon be satisfied screamed - Welcome! Here are just a few of the treats that await a visitor trying to escape the cold

(Remember you can click on the picture and it gets bigger, but you cannot scratch and sniff.)








The nice thing about most towns in the Netherlands is that there are a lot of bakeries!  Hengelo is no exception.  I returned to the hotel stopping at 2 other shops to warm my toes and just enjoy.   And proud my will power stood firm... No Treats from Me!  But it was dinner time and I now needed to eat.


Joined by two associates and one spouse we headed to Intenzo for my second visit. One just cannot go wrong there. They are known for a special pasta dish which I got as an antipasto. In a large wheel of parmesan the waiter pours a little grappa and fires it off melting some cheese and softening most. He then adds pasta and works the melted chesse and pasta until they become one. It is almost like a cream with thin slices of one Italy's finest cheeses dressing the pasta. What a Great Start! A nice Sicilian White with crisp citrus flavors accompanied the dish. For the main course I opted for a Halibut which had been wrapped in Parma Ham and lightly coated with a magic sauce. This with the same Moscato from the other night was a perfect match. Salt and Sweet balance was spot on. The pictures do not come close to representating the meal. Side dishes served family style were roasted potatoes, and salad. On my plate was carrot, pepper ragu type of thing that my wife would have enjoyed, but even at 55 I cannot eat cooked carrots. I can still hear my mother in the back my head... "Eat them - they are good for you!"  For dessert a simple glass of Vin Santo was all I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment